Saturday, January 30, 2010

ROAD TRIP!

It's hard to believe, but it has been almost two years since the last time Ky, Kona, and I went for what I would qualify as a road trip. Growing up in the middle seat of a minivan with a Dog, 3 siblings, 2 parents, and way more luggage than room taught me two things. 1. How to cram more crap in a small space than a clepto at a flea market. 2. How to deal with endless hours of boredom in Central California and Southern Arizona. After nearly a two year break, it's time to load up the SUV and head to the Southwest for some much needed sun and fun. The 23 hr, 1400 mile drive, will melt away in no time as it gets warmer and drier.


While the 10 day forecast is not perfect, even with a 30% chance of rain on our first full day down there, the average temp is going to be 15-20 degrees warmer with a lot fewer clouds.

For our drive down, Ky is ecstatic that we will be returning to Pea Soup Andersons, a truckstop/motel on the side of the road somewhere an hour South of Sacramento (for the last 86 years and counting). If you think I am being facetious about Ky looking forward to this, check out the photo from 2 years ago (sorry about the quality, camera phone).


Yep, a novelty head cut-out photo featuring the two "Mascots" of Split Pea Andersons; Pea-Wee and Hap-Pea. Kind of the Odd Couple of split pea soup. Since I was snapping the photo, I am not filling in the role of Hap-Pea in the photo.

Once in Tucson, Joel and Drew will be joining me for a daily bike ride and whatever shenanigans we can find.

We may visit a National Park, an underground cave system, head South of the border to Nogales Mexico, and if everyone behaves the world famous (I'm serious about world famous) Tucson Gem and Mineral Show. If there is time, we may even eat at the same Mexican restaurant (Mi Nidito) that President Clinton gorged himself at on a visit to The Old Pueblo. It's rumored that the tab was well over $100 ($8 for a burrito) for his meal alone, what is unclear, is who picked it up?

Ironically, in the 20ish years I lived in Tucson, I have only done one of those things on that list, I'll leave you to speculate as to what it is that I have done. At the end of each day we should be treated to a fabulous poolside sunset, even if we don't go in the pool.


Hasta La Vista, Baby!

2 comments:

  1. I am guessing Nogales, However I have heard it's not a good idea to go to Mexico right now. However I am just wondering what National Forest you are speaking of. You should definitely go to the caves, Mom and I went and they are pretty cool to look at but very warm inside. I am very jealous of your trip; wish I could meet you there with Daisy and enjoy the warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, especially considering you were probably with me. Saguaro National Monument is actually a National Park, go figure, I never knew.

    Turns out you have to have a passport now, so we wont be going into Nogi.

    Did you and Mom do the standard tour or did you do one of the more adventurous tours?

    ReplyDelete